As much as we’re enamoured of the voluptuous, sexy, temperamental automobiles turned out by the Italian marques, there’s something about the combination of precise, careful German engineering with raw, brutal grunt that leaves us agreeing with the slogan: “Porsche, there is no substitute.”
Like the brand’s beautifully thought-out cars, Porsche’s advertising has always been sharply designed und schparkling mit schmarts — here we present ten of their classic ads that will have you itching to get behind the wheel of one of these stunning Teutonic beasts. (Please note: Sadly, most of the prices quoted are no longer current.)
10. Language lessons with the 944.
9. Buying a Porsche is never a sketchy proposition.
8. The Porsche 911: Teenage dreams, adult themes.
7. The 356 Speedster, yours for just $2,995 new!
6. The 928 GTS: dangerous curves ahead.
5. At Porsche, evolution trumps revolution.
4. The Targa: True blue sky thinking.
3. Not your garden variety automobile.
2. An outstanding driving experience in the 911.
1. Engineering a Porsche may not be brain surgery, but it sure is rocket science.
Bonus early 1980s TV commercial, featuring the 911, 924 and 928 (and a voiceover from Troy McClure?)